Sunday, January 16, 2011

Trusting God with My Picture

So far, 2011 is going pretty well—except for the not drinking coffee thing. Why did I want to do that again?

Today I visited a church in Nashville that I loved, which makes me feel wonderful. Why did I wait so long to try Cross Point? My first experience was definitely a good one. The pastor is one of our authors, Pete Wilson (Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?). His message this morning really hit home and encouraged me. As soon as the service ended, the lady sitting next to me struck up a conversation asking if this was my first visit. We talked for a good 15 minutes. She even gave me her card and welcomed me to sit with her again next week. I am so thankful for her willingness to talk to me.

Pete's message was one in a series called "More." It was about trusting God's faithfulness with a focus on Abraham in Genesis 12:1-5, 10-13 and 15:1-3. I underlined this: "After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, 'Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward'" (Gen. 15:1 nkjv). We were given a piece of paper in the bulletin on which to draw the picture for our lives—dreams for our careers, finances, family. The picture for how we expect our lives to be. But nothing turns out the way we plan, and we each must come to a place where we let go and hand over that picture to God.

It's not about where we're going in life, what career we want, or whether we've found that one person to spend our lives with. Those things won't fulfill us. I know that. But I've been dealing with some things lately that caused this verse to reach me in a new way and remind me that it's so not about any of those things. "I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." No matter what happens along the way, I am sure of my reward. And that's the whole point.

Bella and I went out on the trail this afternoon and walked four miles. I'm a little sore, but it was good. I love being immersed in nature. Bella just wants to chase every bird we pass. And apparently four miles wasn't enough for her. As she sits at my side whimpering and flashing those big brown eyes at me. She wants more. Always.


Wanting more is good as long as it doesn't consume us. Wanting more is healthy and spurs us on toward something better. I believe there's a healthy balance to maintain between contentment and thankfulness and a longing for more. We must be thankful for and content with what we do have while maintaining a hope for something more when God offers it.

No comments:

Post a Comment