Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Why I Love Miranda Lambert

In honor of my exciting week ending with a Miranda Lambert concert on Friday, I think I'll write a post about her :)

A friend asked me the other night, "So, what is it you like so much about Miranda Lambert?"

I fumbled for words to explain the feeling. And it is a feeling I get.

It's in her music. It's in the lyrics and the notes. It's in her story. It's in who she is. And it's in her boldness. Just listen to Revolution... Each song is different, powerful, and thought-provoking.

It's in who she is:
Miranda is a good ole country girl from Lindale, Texas. She goes hunting and posts pictures of it on her Twitter and professional website. She can get filthy dirty riding four wheelers in the mud and then walk down the red carpet in a gorgeous fashion gown. She rocks out on a pink guitar.

She's strong and brave. She stands up for what she believes in and doesn't take crap from anybody.

On her website Miranda says,
"I mean every word I say in every lyric of every song on this record, and every record I've ever done . . . I would never take back one word or lyric or point I've ever made, because it's part of who I am. And there are plenty of artists who wouldn't do so much of that, if that's the kind of music you're into. But if you're into honesty, I have the records for you."
She worked her butt off to get where she is.

She's charming and gorgeous.

She loves the puppies and even has her own pet charity, MuttNation Foundation.

It's in the sound:
I love the perfect blend of country and southern rock. I love the fiddle. I love the prelude before the first verse of "Airstream Song." I feel that it's so obvious what a good time she and the band were having when they made this album.

Again, just listen to Revolution.

It's in the lyrics:
I think Miranda's lyrics are incredible.

Take for instance, this song "Heart Like Mine":
I ain’t the kind you take home to mama
I ain’t the kind to wear no ring
Somehow I always get stronger
When I’m on my second drink
 
Even though I hate to admit it
Sometimes I smoke cigarettes
Christian folks say I should quit it
I just smile and say “God bless”

‘Cause I heard Jesus, He drank wine
And I bet we’d get along just fine
He could calm a storm and heal the blind
And I bet He’d understand a heart like mine


Daddy cried when he saw my tattoo
Said he’d love me anyway
My brother got the brains of the family
So I thought I’d learn to sing

‘Cause I heard Jesus, He drank wine
And I bet we’d get along just fine
He could calm a storm and heal the blind
And I bet He’d understand a heart like mine

I’ll fly away
From it all one day
I’ll fly away

These are the days that I will remember
When my name’s called on the roll
He’ll meet me with two long-stemmed glasses
Make a toast to me coming home
It's bold. It's raw truth. Miranda wrote it with one of her best friends, Ashley Monroe, on a random girls night.
"I grew up in church, and I've been a Christian my whole life. My mom always says I cut my teeth on a church pew. It could be autobiographical in a way, because I've definitely had my share of being judged but I'm playing a character a little bit in every song, too."
I can relate to that, especially being "grown up" and living out on my own.

And then there's the second verse that I absolutely love in "That's the Way the World Goes 'Round":
[verse 2]
Well I was sittin’ in the tub just a countin’ my toes
When the radiator broke and the water froze
Got stuck in the ice without any clothes
Naked as the eyes of a clown
I was crying ice cubes hoping that I'd croak
When the sun came through the window and the ice all broke
I said son of a gun man that’s just a joke
And that's the way that the world goes 'round

[chorus]
That's the way that the world goes 'round
One minute you’re up and the next you’re down
It's a half an inch of water and you think you're gonna drown
That's the way that the world goes 'round
I mean, it's just an awesome little ditty! It's vivid and saucy and witty and comical. Miranda throws in the attitude. The first time I heard the song I thought, Wait, she what? My favorite line is "I said son of a gun, man, that’s just a joke." I laugh out loud every time I hear it, even at work sometimes... :)

And then, after songs like this with a solid, upbeat sound, she launches into "Virginia Bluebell":
Carrying the weight on the end of a limb
You’re just waiting for somebody to pick you up again
Shaded by a tree, can’t live up to a rose
All you ever wanted was a sunny place to grow

Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up
And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of
‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell
You’re my Virginia Bluebell
My Virginia Bluebell

Even through a stone a flower can bloom
You just need a little push, Spring is coming soon
Umbrella in the rain, let it roll off your back
Weather what you can, realize what you have

Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up
And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of
‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell
You’re my Virginia Bluebell
My Virginia Bluebell

Put a little light in the darkest places
Put a little smile on the saddest faces

Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up
And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of
‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell
You’re my Virginia Bluebell
My Virginia Bluebell
This song, to me, is a beautiful story of encouragement to a woman who is down on herself. It's pretty straightforward and very touching.

What are your thoughts on Miranda Lambert and her music?

1 comment:

  1. Jodi,
    You just taught me more about Miranda Lambert than I could ever really know.

    This line really hit me from her song you posted above:
    ‘Cause I heard Jesus, He drank wine
    And I bet we’d get along just fine
    He could calm a storm and heal the blind
    And I bet He’d understand a heart like mine

    Great heart indeed. You both have that in common.

    Great post!
    Dave Schroeder

    ReplyDelete