Monday, August 23, 2010

The Big Transition: Nashville

Rarely does a day go by when I fail to think about how amazing it is that I am where I am. I live in Nashville, Tennessee, for Pete's sake! How did THAT happen?! I'm just a country girl from the boondocks in south Alabama, and here I am in this huge city working at the #1 Christian book publishing company in the world!

It all started one cold, Winter day during Jan Term 2009 in my tiny dorm room at the Phi Mu house. I was appropriately pondering my future, as graduation was fast-approaching. I only had one semester left at my Alma Mater. Yikes! So many of my fellow classmates had plans and knew what they were going to door at least what they wanted to dofollowing that inevitable Saturday in May. Not me. I wasn't ready. I loved Samford! The Quad... the glorious library... my amazing professors... my friends...

But of course, ready or not, it was time to figure something out.

So I thought, "What would I really love to do?" The books surrounding me on the desk and bookshelf seemed to yell at me that they should somehow be involved. I thought about my favorite author, whom I began reading in 2003. Ted Dekker. Then I Googled: "Ted Dekker's publisher." First I found WestBow, oh but that was an imprint at Thomas Nelson, whatever an "imprint" was! I played around on the Web sites and found the Human Resources phone number. Hmm... why not? I gave them a call and left a message pertaining to my curiosity concerning any internships they may have available. And that was that. I went on with my afternoon, my homework, etc.

Then my phone rang one afternoon in February, I believe. I didn't recognize the number, but I answered. It was an HR lady from Thomas Nelson! We chatted, she gave me her e-mail, and I sent her my resume and a list of what departments I was interested in. Shortly after this transpired, I was contacted by one Heather Skelton. What followed was a couple months of e-mail correspondence and Heather, I'm sure, working her butt off to get me a position. She was successful in this endeavor and secured me a three month internship. Woohoo!! All she needed at that point was to actually meet me and verify that I wasn't some crazy person.

We settled on a day. May 22. I still have the e-mail from Heather:
May 8, 2009

Great! We’ll see you at 1:00 on the 22nd.

When you get here just park in a visitor parking space and come into the main lobby. Tell the receptionist that you are here to see me and I’ll come down to get you.

One more thing, we have a casual dress code that allows us to wear jeans everyday. You don’t have to put on your best suit to meet with us, unless you just feel more comfortable that way. :)

Ok. May 22 was about five days after graduation. I could totally handle that. Oh. My. Goodness!!

After that, everything just flew by, and graduation arrived before I knew what was going on.

I went home for a few days of Summer and semi-rest, then my sweet Nanny and I took off to Nashville. The drive was long, but Nanny kept me company.

My interview with Heather and Jenn McNeil went well. Nanny and I drove the nearly 500 miles back home, and I racked my brain on how I could make it work living on my own, far away from home, making minimum wage. But I was determined, and I made it happen. I officially moved to Nashville on June 12, 2009, less than one month after graduating from Samford.

The first few months were difficult, and I lived in an old, not-so-nice studio apartment. But I managed. One thingor should I say, one internship?led to another, and I was finally hired on full-time in March, thanks to the determination of my wonderful Boss Lady.

I love my job, I love my new apartment complex and neighbors, my sweet Miss Bella, and, more importantly, I absolutely love my coworkers and team, The Baugher Group. I am so blessed to be living my dream, loving every minute of it, and looking forward to whatever the future holds.


2 comments:

  1. good stuff, Jodi ... didn't know your story! so glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete