Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pompeii: City on Fire by T. L. Higley

I just finished a book five minutes ago, c. 10:00 a.m. It was my first Kindle eBook experience. But more about that later.


Written by T. L. Higley, Pompeii: City on Fire is a solid and stimulating story with integral Christian content, set in the ancient Roman world less than a hundred years after Christ walked the earth and just before the infamous eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79.

As a lover of and advocate for the Classics (the study of ancient Greece and Rome), I was very pleased with Higley’s research and accuracy. Her subtle descriptions of life in Pompeii reveal Higley’s knowledge of the ancient world. Her transfusion of Christianity into this world reveals her great talent.

I appreciate the word list in the front matter and the use of Latin in the text, although the Latin was not as prevalent as I would have liked. (I love Latin.)

The commentary from Vesuvius personified added a sense of urgency to the story, but I grew weary of her self-pity. Perhaps one or two of those interruptions could have been left out?

SPOILER ALERT.

Cato's conversion is just gradual enough to be believable, for a Roman man of his standing and time. Ariella's journey is constantly changing, and I felt that her conversion was sudden. I expected it, yes, but not from any hints Ariella shared. Her inner 180-degree turn had little warning and felt abrupt. Looking back, Higley does utilize several paragraphs to reveal Ariella’s thought process leading up to the leap, so maybe that is sufficient. But initially, it felt sudden to me.

The ending is satisfying and believable. I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation for at least the final ten chapters. Tears pooled in my eyes when I realized, along with Ariella and Cato, that Europa, Seneca, Flora, and Jeremiah intended to stay behind. Their faith and contentment is awe-inspiring.

I highly recommend this book to those who love the Classics, Christian fiction, and a good story.


This is the first book I have read from T. L. Higley. To learn more about her, visit her website, "No Passport Required."

Kindle/eBook experience:
Not a fan. I don’t like having to push a button to turn the page, not being able to quickly flip back for reference. I don't despise it, and I'll probably use it again, but I prefer physical books.

No comments:

Post a Comment